Who we are
Hyperfine Interactions Group, Physics, Washington State University, Pullman,
WA 99164-2814, USA
Current and recent members
- Gary Collins, Professor, group leader
(collins at wsu.edu)
- Ryan Murray, graduate student, 2014-, solute-solute interactions
- Sherry Orton, graduate student, 2013-, equilibrium defect concentrations
- Krystal Kasal, graduate student, 2013-, solute-solute interactions
- Andrew Bleasdale, physics major, 2013-, site energies of solutes
- Mark Kohan, graduate student, physics, 2013- ; predicting site energies
of indium solutes in compounds (mark.kohan at email.wsu.edu)
- Ryan Harrison, undergraduate materials science major, 2013-; predicting
site energies of indium solutes in compounds (ryan.harrison at email.wsu.edu)
- Ben McDonald, undergraduate physics major, 2012- , using Wigner-Seitz
cells to predict properties (mazterlith at yahoo.com),
- Qiaoming Wang, MS Physics, 2012; jump frequencies in pseudo-binary
alloys (qmwangustc at gmail.com)
- Justine Minish, 2010 REU summer participant, jump frequencies in
pseudo-binary alloys (12jmmini at alma.edu)
- Lee Aspitarte, BS Physics 2011 ; REU participant summer 2011, Phase
transformations in In-Zr alloys (lee.aspitarte at email.wsu.edu)
- Ken Dorrance, undergraduate, 2009- ; Calculation of properties of
Wigner-Seitz cells (ken.dorrance at gmail.com)
- Xiangyu Yin (Desmond), MS Physics, 2011; PAC studies of eutectic
gallium-indium alloys (desmond2046 at gmail.com)
- Prastuti Singh, Pullman high school senior, 2009-10; Jump frequencies
in FeGa3 phases (prastuti_singh at wsu.edu)
- Samantha Cawthorne, undergraduate 2009 REU summer school participant;
Jump frequencies in Al4Sr and Ga4Sr phases (scawtho at clemson.edu)
- Megan Lockwood, undergraduate 2008 REU summer school participant;
Jump frequencies in L1_2 stannides (mml at nmsu.edu)
- Randy Newhouse, PhD Physics, 2012, jump frequencies in binary and
ternary intermetallic phases (randynewhouse at gmail.com)
- Ashley Dorwart, undergraduate 2007 REU summer school participant;
Site preferences in Gd-Al alloys (adorwart at NebrWesleyan.edu)
- Justin Ahn, Pullman high school senior, 2007-8; Diffusion in NdIn3
(cdplayersony at hotmail.com)
- Xia Jiang, MS 2008; Cadmium jump frequencies in L1_2 intermetallic
gallides and aluminides (jiangxia at uchicago.edu)
- Ben Norman, BS 2007; Honors thesis: Lattice locations of solutes
in "mirror" phases (bmnorman at umich.edu)
- Stephanie Lage, BS 2007. Thesis: Dynamics of solutes in Al11R3
intermetallic phases (R= rare earth) (stephlage621 at hotmail.com)
- Morgan Emerson, BS 2007. Thesis: Contact areas between Wigner-Seitz
cells in complex structures (morgan_emerson at yahoo.com)
- Arriety Lowell, MS 2007; Site preferences in rare-earth aluminides
such as Al2R (R= rare earth) (arriety at turbonet.com)
- Xiao Wang, MS 2006, Defects in II-VI semiconductors (xiao_wang at
Selim, Postdoctoral associate 2005-7; Research Assistant Professor,
2009- ;Site preference and dynamics of solutes in Ga7Pd3 and Ga7Pt3 compounds
(selim at wsu.edu).
- John Bevington, PhD, Materials Science, 2011; Site preference
of solutes in Al3Ti and Al3Zr phases; WIEN2k computations (jbev85 at hotmail.com).
- Kyle Slinker, Pullman high school senior project, 2005-6;
Site preference of solutes; Wigner-Seitz cell construction (kslink at gmail.com).
- Lai Wang, MS 2005: Geometrical construction of Wigner-Seitz
cells in complex crystal structures (lai_wang at wsu.edu).
- Phil Peterman, undergraduate participant, 2005, Numerical computation
of Wigner-Seitz cells (philbert at wsu.edu).
- Matthew Zacate, Postdoc
and Res. Asst. Prof., 1999-2004, all aspects of project. Now Associate Professor, Physics, Northern
Kentucky University and Adjunct Professor, WSU (zakatem1 at nku.edu).
- Egbert Nieuwenhuis, visiting MS student from U. Groningen, The Netherlands
for nine months in 2003-4 completing the equivalent of two MS theses:
(1) Polymorphic transformations in In2La and In2Ce; (2) Dynamics of
indium solutes in Ga7Pd3 (ernieuwenhuis at gmail.com).
- Denys Solodovnikov, graduate student 2003-4. Diffusion in several
In3R compounds (R=rare earth) (densol at wsu.edu).
- Jipeng Wang, MS 2004. Diffusion in LaSn3 (middle9831023 at
- Li Kang, MS 2004. Diffusion in CeIn3 (chamdoonow at hotmail.com).
- Aurélie Favrot, visiting MS student from INSA, Rennes, France
for three months in summer 2003. Diffusion in In3La (aurelie.favrot
- Bonner Walsh, graduate participant in 2002. Site preferences
of solutes in intermetallics having the Ni2Al3 structure (bwalsh at mail.smu.edu).
- Slade Jokela, graduate participant in 2001. Solute sites
in intermetallic compounds (sjokela at wsunix.wsu.edu).
- Matthew Petersen, BS participant from University of Idaho in 1999.
Point defects in FePd (pete1694 at novell.uidaho.edu).
- Luke Shing Jen Peng,
Postdoc 1998-99: PAC studies of FeAl. PhD 1998: Defects in FeAl
and FeRh studied by Mössbauer spectroscopy.
- Harmen Thys Nieuwenhuis, visiting MS student from U. Groningen,
The Netherlands for five months in 1998. Vacancy diffusion in PdIn (harmenthys
- Andrew Janssen, undergraduate participant in 1998. Point
defects in FePd (sanzu at angelfire.com).
- Mingzhong Wei, MS 1998. Point defects in FeAl (mwei at eecs.wsu.edu).
- Bin Bai, PhD 1998. Equilibrium defects at high temperature
in NiAl (binbai at micron.com).
- Praveen Sinha, PhD 1995. Point defects in PdIn (psinha at
August 2014. Please send updates and corrections to collins
at wsu.edu. Back to our home page.